Sunday, February 9, 2014

C4T#1






Denise Krebs' Blog


December 11, 2013
"Creative and Authentic – That’s What Parents Save"

Denise's blog post titled "Creative and Authentic – That’s What Parents Save" was such an inspiring read. Denise is on the countdown for her move in 12 days. They have sold there house and are now going through belongings, specifically school work from K-8 of Daughter #1. She easily threw away test results, report cards, Accelerated Reader certificates, and worksheets.
She says "It doesn’t matter if a student is a high achiever or a low achiever, no parent wants to have years worth of test scores and reports cards that give little information about who their child really is." She realized report cards were just meaningless letter grades and worksheets were wasted time that her child wasn't deeply invested in. Denise says "Teachers didn’t understand that what makes a child proud is not papers marked with 100% or “Great Job.” Children are proud when they invest in authentic work and do an excellent job because they are passionately involved." In the end Denise had fun reading her daughters beautiful poetry and the personal experience narratives that made her laugh and remember times.The things she did on her own that we're authentic and creative is what she saved.
I enjoyed reading this post because I am one that says everything from school. I love looking back on my past work, but the ones that stand out are my personal opinion pieces or creative artwork. I agree with Denise because those kinds of assignments show who you were and how you became who you are.

January 14, 2014
"What Changes"

Denise is experiencing major life changes. She has moved from the USA to the small island nation of Bahrain in the Middle East. She is now experiencing a whole new culture. She has taken on the role of an English teacher of two kindergarten classes. She has 50 students in all. She says "The students are beautiful, loving, fun, and I am fully charmed." Denise is learning to eat her words, manipulate her teaching style and is putting all of her trust in God to fill the gaps. Denise inspires me when she says "I am a lifelong learner", I also believe we as people will be learning until the end of time. I look forward to following Denise on her journey and I know this is just the beginning.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Chloe,

    My name is Mary Alice and I'm a student in Dr. Strange's EDM510 class and I was assigned to visit your blog this week and check it out. It looks great! :) Here is the link to my blog page if you're interested in learning more about me: my own personal blog .

    I liked the insights that you shared about Denise's thoughts on what parents save. It spoke to me as a mother and as a 1st grade teacher. I found it noteworthy that she threw out with ease the report cards and AR certificates, etc. The things that meant something to her were not these shallow letter scores, but rather the creative expression that was unique to her daughter. She enjoyed reading her writing that reminded her of the times that she'd forgotten-- those little details that you wouldn't think of again unless it was written down to remind you.

    As a teacher, it inspires me to spend more time with my students on just such authentic assignments, fostering creativity and expression. Also, I need to share these with parents more!

    As a parent it helps remind me not to stress over letter scores that my child brings home, rather focus on the important indicators of his success. Those art pieces, poems, paragraphs, etc. that show "him" are what will mean something to me in the future, so I need to appreciate them the most now. :)

    That being said, report cards and AR scores, etc. are a part of our world as educators and parents. What do you suggest we do to balance the two-- authentic creation and letter scores based on testing?

    Thanks for the good insights and posting! Keep up the good work!
    ~Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete